Welcome! I’m Heather K Veitch, and I love books and writing. I also love exploring emotional and spiritual development, and talking about how all these things connect with and inform each other. I also love encouraging others in their own writing, reading, and other creative goals and personal development.
I have a BA (Hons) in English and an MA in Creative Writing, and I always have some combination of writing, reading, and words on the brain, alongside an assortment of daily spiritual practice, emotional integrity, and deep curiosity.
I am also a Life Coach, and what makes my heart sing is helping others to realise and reach for their own creative dreams, explore their spiritual path, and/or develop their emotional intelligence. I have been on a path of spiritual discovery and personal development my whole life, always seeking what is sacred, and this led me to become a qualified Spiritual Companion and Spiritual Health Mentor, gently walking alongside those exploring and defining their spiritual pathway for themselves. Later, I trained in life coaching via Martha Beck’s Wayfinder Life Coach Training.
Various health challenges caused me to explore both orthodox and complementary therapies, and I built up my own toolbox of self-care and support, including the gentle yet profoundly powerful flower and vibrational essences. To this end, I am now a Bach Foundation Registered Practitioner, a Certified Practitioner of Wild Earth Animal Essences, a Certified Practitioner of Alaskan Flower Essences, and an Advanced Practitioner Member of the British Flower and Vibrational Essences Association.
I offer a blend of coaching and holistic services to help creatives get unstuck; to help people exploring their spirituality navigate their unique spiritual path; and to help empaths, highly sensitive people, and others find and maintain emotional balance and curiosity. I believe in the power of words, silence, and music to transport us to different worlds, to unlock our own inner wisdom, and to facilitate healing for ourselves and for others. I also believe that everyone has the ability to be the best version of themselves, that true leadership comes from within, and that creativity, spirituality, and nature offer us opportunities for healing and change. Drinking tea is one of my superpowers; another is empathy; a third is my belief in you.
I write every day. Some of it sucks. Some of it doesn’t. But I keep writing.
- I adore deep conversation, especially around spirituality, our emotional experiences, and creativity.
- Clever writing makes me excited — whether it be song lyrics, characterisation, plot development, sentence flow, word choices, or just great writing.
- I love flower essences for their ease, not to mention their ability to help me become more aware of my emotions and how to balance them.
- I love the Oxford comma.
- Training as a Spiritual Companion and Spiritual Health Mentor was one of the most life-changing experiences I’ve ever had.
- One of the most spiritual experiences I’ve ever had occurred when snorkelling in Molokini Crater, Hawai’i.
- I first realised I wanted to be a writer when I fell in love with libraries as a child.
- There’s coachable moments in lots of pop culture, if you keep an open mind.
- Nothing beats the sights, sounds, and smells of a good bookshop.
- I live in Derbyshire, UK, with my husband and a clowder of cats. Our house is held up by books and musical instruments.
- Despite my academic background, I spent almost 20 years as an IT Director. I’ve also been a bookseller and a university tutor.
- Books saved my life as a child and multiple times afterwards; I read anything and everything, given the chance.
- I live with Multiple Sclerosis — but it doesn’t define who I am, nor does it stop me.
- I knit (quite well), play the piano (not too badly), and journal (lots).
- I also play the lever (Celtic) harp.
- I love print books, but I have strong feelings about my Kindle Oasis, too.
- I prefer rain over sunshine, woodsmoke over perfume, and the ocean over mountains.
- I am a proud Swiftie, and have seen Taylor live three times (the 1989 World Tour, and the reputation stadium tour — twice).
- If you’re into Myers-Briggs, I’m an INFJ.
- Tea is one of my favourite things. So is cheese.
- I prefer writing in pencil over pen.
- Plumeria are one of my favourite flowers.
- I meditate daily, and have an established daily spiritual practice, which I blog about in much more depth here.
- Books. Did I mention books?
- Authors: Robin Hobb, Elizabeth Bear, Laini Taylor, Maggie Stiefvater, Liz Williams, JRR Tolkien, Anita Shreve, Alice Hoffman, Mark Lawrence, Tomi Adeyemi, Sarah Morgan, Kathleen Dean Moore.
- Poet: Mary Oliver.
- Book Series: The Realm of the Elderlings, The Promethean Age, Middle-earth.
- Fiction Genres: Fantasy, Magical Realism, Science Fiction, Young Adult.
- Non-Fiction Genres: Psychology, Spirituality, Creativity, Coaching, Personal Development.
- Music: Taylor Swift, Delta Rae, Sarah McLachlan, Lady Antebellum, Ian Shaw, Loreena McKennitt, Laura Sullivan.
- Colours: Deep reds, pumpkin orange, black.
- Season: Autumn.
- Scents: Woodsmoke, spices, frankincense, plumeria, pumpkins, patchouli, bookshops and libraries.
Thank you to Gillian at Gillian Sarah for making my new branding a reality. It was so fun to work with you!